See pictures from Sunday's Mass and Read the History of St. Bride Parish!
The Story of St. Bride Parish
St. Bride Church was organized in 1893 as a mission of St. Kevin Church (located at 105th and
The area known as
In May 1893, Father O’Sullivan bought a parcel of land on the east side of Coles Avenue just south of 78th Street for $5,480 and here he directed the construction of a one-story brick church. Completed at a cost of $3,000, the edifice was dedicated on August 6, 1893.
St. Bride Church remained a mission until 1900, when Father O’Sullivan resigned his pastorate at St. Kevin Church in favor of the newly established parish in
In the summer of 1907, the parishioners voted unanimously to build a new church. On September 18, 1907, ground at the southeast corner of 78th and
The old mission church was then remodeled into four classrooms with the result that St. Bride School became the first Catholic grammar school in
Following Father O’Sullivan’s death on October 31, 1910, at the age of 72, Rev. William J. Lynch, former pastor of St. Catherine of
Father Lynch embarked on a program of expansion: in 1920, a three story building at 7760 S. South Shore Drive was remodeled as a convent and the present rectory at 7811 S. Coles was completed in 1925, on the site of the original St. Bride Church. In 1929, four more classrooms were constructed to accommodate the increasing number of Catholic children who lived in the area.
At the time of Father Lynch’s death on April 19, 1933,
On May 5, 1933, Rev. Thomas F. Friel was appointed pastor. During his 32-year tenure as pastor in
Msgr. Friel died suddenly in the parish rectory on April 27, 1965, at the age of 79. His successor was Right Reverend Monsignor Malachy P. Foley, P.A., former rector of St. Mary of the
The years of Msgr. Foley’s pastorate bridged changes in the community as well as in the church rituals. For several decades,
became a predominantly black community. One of Msgr. Foley’s chief concerns was to improve the curriculum in the parish school.
On December 8, 1968, old and new members of the parish gathered to celebrate the 75th anniversary of St. Bride Church.
Named pastor emeritus on December 22, 1969, Msgr. Foley continued to serve St. Bride parish until his death at the age of 81.
Rev. Joseph D. Ryan served as pastor from January 3, 1970, until December 30, 1977. During his pastorate, ties between old parishioners of Irish and German descent and new black and Haitian parishioners were strengthened.
Rev. James W. Kinn was named pastor of St. Bride Church on February 22, 1978. Father Kinn left St. Bride in 1981, and Rev. Robert Burns was named pastor. Father Burns retired in 1992 and Rev. Robert J. Kyfes was named pastor. Father Kyfes held his pastorate at St. Bride from 1992 until October, 2003, when he left to become pastor of
By 2005, with the increased costs of education and the changing demographics in the neighborhood, student enrollment had declined to such an extent that St. Bride School closed its doors on June 10, 2005, with the graduation of its 96th class. The school building is currently for sale.